Monday, February 27, 2012

Those Who Can...Do. Those Who Can't....

....teach? I think not. This blog is proof of everything teachers can do, choose to do, and plan to do. This is proof that teachers have changed a great deal. We don't live at our desks behind a stack of red-inked papers wearing snowman sweaters. We don't wish we were "smarter" so we could have entered a "real" profession like business or law. And we don't all wish we were Robin Williams from Dead Poets Society or Michelle Pfieffer in Dangerous Minds.

During a recent visit with my dad, I filled him in on my plans to travel to Brazil this June with TGC. (Teachers for Global Classrooms) He looked at me quizzically and asked, "Since when do teachers do ALL of this?"  My reply? Since now.

Now teachers study art in Tuscany and teach poetry through watercolors when they return to their classroom.

Now teachers apply for grants to learn about environmental education in the Bahamas.

Now teachers spend two weeks in South America learning about the culture and educational system of Brazil.

So much for teachers being the ones who can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment