Monday, February 20, 2012

A Single Step...

I am an English teacher. So, why is this so hard? A simple blog to share my journey as a global teacher and record my travel preparations and experiences.

I am scared to death.

My journey starts here, with each paragraph, word, and carefully placed comma on display. What if I misplace a modifier? Or even worse, what if  people don't care? Suddenly I know exactly how my students feel when I tell them that turning in an essay about their most memorable life experience is no big deal. No big deal? No wonder English teachers get a bad rep. When students truly struggle with pen and paper, I simply tell them to start with a single step. So here I go; this is my first, cautious step.
I am writing for fellow teachers who truly believe that learning extends well beyond classroom walls. Fellow travelers who know that wanderlust never goes away and it is a wonderful feeling. Readers who may be interested in seeing this big world through the perspective of one little high school English teacher. An English teacher with a mission to prove that the best kind of education does not come from a textbook.

Since travel, teaching and learning new things are all I tend to think about, I will find my way back here as often as inspiration calls me. For math teachers and others who rely on exact measurements, this means at least once a week.

 Ok, my first stab at being a blogging English teacher is now over.

That wasn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment